Following XR’s The Big One last weekend, it felt like a good time to reflect on what we can do to address the causes of climate change.
St Giles & St George is a signatory to the Funder Commitment on Climate Change and we have committed to:
- Educate and Learn: We will make opportunities for our trustees, staff and stakeholders to learn more about the key causes and solutions of climate change.
- Commit Resources: We will commit resources to accelerate work that addresses the causes and impacts of climate change.
- Integrate: Within all our existing programmes, priorities and processes, we will seek opportunities to contribute to a fair and lasting transition to a post carbon society, and to support adaptation to climate change impacts.
- Steward our investments for a post carbon future.
- Decarbonise our Operations: We will minimise the carbon footprint of our own operations.
- Report on Progress: We will report annually on our progress against the five goals listed above.
Our focus during the last year has been to better understand what we can do and where we can make changes.
Educate: we have joined the Environment Funders Network.
Investments: our financial investments are managed within a portfolio that no longer invests in fossil fuels and makes positive investments in renewable energy projects.
Investments: we have commissioned Energy Performance Certificates for our investment properties and will plan what energy efficiency measures can be built into our property maintenance schedule.
Operations: we mostly work virtually although we have a desk at the St Giles church office, so we will encourage them to decarbonise their operations.