The Alms charity is a combination of several very old charities created to relieve poverty in the area around St Giles-in-the-Fields church. The last couple of centuries have seen significant changes, but our charity still helps local residents who struggle financially, have poor health, or suffer with both.
Grants for individuals
What grants do we provide?
Grants for Individuals – up to £500 for people on low incomes to buy new household goods.
We award a small number of grants each year to local residents who need financial help with:
- replacing old or broken kitchen appliances and furniture in their current homes
- new furniture or kitchen appliances when moving into a new property.
Who can apply?
Local residents living in the area of benefit AND living on low incomes.
Please check below if you may be eligible for an Alms grant
Click on the list below and start typing the first letter of your street
How long will it take?
Applications take about two weeks for a decision to be made, then another one to two weeks for the products to be delivered.
What can I apply for?
Mainly our grants cover household items such as kitchen appliances, furniture, bedding, carpets and clothing. All new appliances are delivered and installed as part of the service. Any old or broken appliances are taken away.
We also fund secondary school uniform and assisted living. We do not provide grants for any financial debts or holidays. We do not award cash grants.
How to apply?
Complete the application form in full and return it to the charity. You can download the form or ask for one to be posted to you.
What happens next?
- All new applicants will be visited at home by our Grants Officer
- During the visit, you will be expected to provide evidence of your income and expenditure
- The Grants Officer writes a short report to enable Trustees to make a decision and this will be communicated in writing
- For most grants, your product will be ordered through our supplier and they will contact you to arrange a convenient delivery time.
We are only able to consider one application per household in a twelve-month period, and no more than two applications over three years.
If you are a support worker, then please sign up to our grant makers newsletter for information about grants available across south Camden. We work closely with St Pancras Welfare Trust and St Andrew, Holborn.